Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Public Service Announcement

Taken by: Billy Wilson

There has been an antitoxin problem at Anderson Lake. It was discovered in 2006 when two dogs died after drinking the lake water. They suffered seizures and died before their owners could get them to the nearest vet. However, there was a third dog that drank the lake water and didn't die. The dog shared the same symptoms as the others, but managed to get to the vet after having fallen into a coma. The dog made a full recovery and was okay, but how did this deadly antitoxin-a get into Anderson Lake?

The antitoxin-a is produced by Cyanobacteria or Blue green algae when they die. The reason they have made the lake so toxic could be because of nutrient pollution. This pollution is caused by fertilizers that make their way into water and cause algae to over populate. Some of these algae can produce toxins such as the ones in Anderson lake, but others cause oxygen depletion by over populating and using to much of the dissolved oxygen which can make fish and other inhabitants die.

This type of water pollution, sadly, doesn't have any easy fix's it could have been easily avoided had people in the area not used fertilizer there wouldn't be a problem. There are many alternate fertilizers that don't contain these nutrients such as Compost tea, organic fertilizer, or even just the old fashioned way! This Completely keeps the problems from happening. Though if you find this hard remember the seven R's!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Replace, Refuse & reject, Recover, and Rethink. For this type of pollution though, I most recommend Refuse and reject. By refusing and rejecting fertilizers you can stop this type of pollution.


"How to Make Compost Tea." How to Make Compost Tea. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 May 2016.
8. Follow the Rs: Reduce, Replace, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Refuse and Reject, Rethink (n.d.): n. pag. Web. 3 May 2016.
"Anderson Lake Closed after Two Dogs Die." Port Townsend Jefferson County Leader. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 May 2016. <>.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Experiment 7 Conclusion (Classroom assignment)

   In this experiment my class measured how many washers a motor could lift with different manipulated variables. We started by choosing which variables we would change (Amount of batteries, amount of wire, length of string ect.) Than we split into teams of 2-3 and we each chose a variable. Team 10 (my team) decided to use the amount of batteries for our manipulated variable and everyone in the class was using amount of washers as the measured variable. So, we started by having one battery and seeing how many washers the motor would lift while only being powered by one battery. The motor, with these conditions, only lifted 1 washer. (A lift only counted when the washer made it above three holes on the pegboard) Than, we did it again with two batteries and it lifted a max of three washers and then when we tried three and four batteries and their result was the same they were both only able to lift a max of four washers. I think this happened because no matter how much energy is available to the motor it will only make it last longer Instead of making it more powerful.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Raft battery science project

Telling parents about what you did durring battery lesson:

    Today at school we built batteries out of copper, zinc, blotter paper, and cooper sulfate solution. We used this battery to power a light bulb that was the size of rice. These batteries were made by putting copper and zinc on either side of the blotter paper and rubber banding them together. Than you tape the two wires that are attached to the small light bulb one to the zinc and on to the copper. And lastly you dip it in the copper sulfate solution. If the battery didn't light after you did that you were supposed to squeeze the wires closer to the metal. My group managed to get the light bulb to light, but we had to squeeze the wires against the metal.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mt Rainer Update

Mt Rainer has calmed it activity over recent days and hasn't shown as mush as last Monday when the volcano was showing lots of activity. Now the activity has calmed down so much there is barley any at all.

Until next update

Friday, October 23, 2015

I've been doing research on the seismic activity of volcanoes and I chose to study mt Rainer because i saw it had a few spikes. Then, I checked it again and today it having more spikes that are bigger and more frequent. I will be posting updates on its activity later.